Thank you

Thank you for reading my thoughts and commenting respectfully. ~S

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

I scream, You scream, We all scream for Ice Cream!


I am an ice cream girl... 


I absolutely love ice cream - give me a table filled with desserts and I'd probably choose the frozen treat.


Perhaps I should mention I'm not your typical hot weathered ice cream girl... I literally CRAVE ice cream when it is cold - even more so if it snowing outside! While we were living in Colorado, my husband would always laugh because as soon as the first snow fell, I'd get a craving for ice cream. And going to get ice cream while it's snowing, well that's even better. (Kinda how I sometimes like a hot cup of coffee in the middle of summer).


A friend inspired me to take a look at my ice cream past. *giggle*


My first memory of eating ice cream is around 5 years old. Growing up in the South, the summers got hot and muggy real fast. So, my mother would take me to the military's pool on base EVERY DAY! I'd swim until I couldn't swim any longer (aka red eyes, wrinkly fingers and reeking of chlorine) Afterwards, we would head over the local McDonald's restaurant, along with most of the other mothers/kids from the pool. One of my first friends was made this way - I can't remember her name but she had the blondest hair I had ever seen and by the middle of the summer the chlorine had started to turn her hair a shade of green! You just don't forget that as a kid.


After eating my lunch (which I hope was nutritionally sound compared today) and running around the playground for nearly an hour - it was time for ice cream! And not just any ice cream, a TWISTED cone of vanilla and chocolate! The only thing I can really remember about this ice cream was that I loved eating the cone afterwards because it got a little soggy near the end. Yes, I was a unique child. 


However, my strongest memory of childhood was going to Baskin Robins for a special occasion and getting a scoop in a bowl of their PINK BUBBLE GUM ice cream! There was just something really exciting about a cup of ice cream with bubble gum in it. But here's the funny part: my grandma had once told me if I swallowed my gum it would stay in my stomach for X amount of years. As any young girl, I of course believed her! So, instead of swallowing the ice cream with the tiny pieces of bubble gum - I'd take a bite of ice cream, manage to eat only the ice cream, and then I'd spit out the bubble gum and set it on a lid or napkin until I had finished the whole scoop. Once I had done that, next to me would be a small pile of pink. Naturally, as a child it isn't at all disgusting to take that and put it into your mouth. Hehehehe! I loved having the gum afterwards even if it wasn't the good kind to blow bubbles. 


Once I got into middle school, the idea of spitting out pieces of gum didn't appeal to me anymore. So my ice cream taste "matured" and my favorite became a M&M blizzard from Dairy Queen. I loved the yummy vanilla ice cream and then periodically, the really cold hard pieces of M&M's. And usually once you got to the bottom of the cup, there were quite a few fragments of M&M's left so you got an entire spoon full! I think that perhaps I have a tendency to like things where you get more than just one thing. (Classic example: Blow Pops or Tootsie Pops). 


When I became pregnant with my first son, I had a very bad milk aversion the first few months. But I was able to stomach Chick-Fil-A's Ice Dream! Initially, this was just a way to get some calcium into me, but the texture of the ice cream got me hooked. If you've never had their ice cream, there really aren't any words to describe the texture. I could say it's kinda gritty, but that does not sound appetizing. The texture is definitely what I love about it the most. The flavor is wonderful, just a plain delicious vanilla - but the texture is what makes it a DREAM! ;)


Now, I don't eat at any of those places anymore (or on the rare occasion we do, such as Chick Fil A, I typically don't order ice cream). But I still do occasionally buy ice cream to have at home. When we are talking about ice cream to eat at home, there is nothing better than MINT CHOCOLATE CHIP!!! (even better if it has cookies in it too!). My husband and I are mint fanatics, we like almost anything that has mint - thinking that will be a blog some other day. I'm all about the white version of mint chocolate chip and the light green version looking ones - flavor is what count! 


One last thought about ice cream, before I forget. I've been thinking about my mother all day. When she was alive and was able to still eat ice cream - her favorite ice cream were Nestle' Drumsticks. I remember she would buy a box, and I was NOT allowed to have any! Sometimes she would share, but they were her very special indulgence in an otherwise very strict diet. Plus, she couldn't eat more than one or two in a year due to her illness. I've bought a box or two since she has passed, and I can totally understand what she loved about them. The peanuts on top with the chocolate and then the bottom of the waffle cone filled with chocolate are wonderful surprises! 


As I mentioned above, I love coffee during the summer - but truth me told I love coffee year round! I haven't met a coffee I didn't like. So when Starbucks created a coffee inspired ice cream line, I was pretty interested. Especially since I had a coupon that a made a pint of it cost $1! I chose to try the Caramel Macchiato (one of my favorite drinks from Starbucks)... and OH MY WORD - it was as though they just took the coffee and froze it. COFFEE AND ICE CREAM - there's really not much more I can say about it - if you like coffee, you get it.  


So.... Do you scream for ice cream?




If you're wondering about where this blog came from, I was inspired by a fellow blogger crying out to Edy's as to why they had to discontinue her favorite ice cream flavor. It got me thinking, and thus this blog. And if you're wondering, I probably only eat ice cream once a month or less! But, when I do get to, I enjoy it!

2 comments:

  1. It IS always great when you have a dessert item that becomes a second dessert item (tootsie pops, etc).

    I am going to have to try this Starbucks coffee ice cream. Maybe it will be my new love.

    Mint chocolate chip ice cream with cookies in it? Genius. I need some of that, too.

    I haven't had a Drumstick in years!

    I'm thinking all this ice cream talk will cause ice cream sales to go up this week ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another mint chocolate girl here! There's no better combination in the universe. :D

    ReplyDelete